Marans Chicks Colors

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Country Marans, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Country Marans

Country Marans Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    Missouri
    I got eight Marans chicks three weeks ago, supposedly blue and black coppers. Now, however, I find that there's three different colors and I'm curious as to what they are. Blue coppers not posted here.

Chick one; black with copper barring?
    [​IMG]

Chick two; rooster; black with a few white wing, face, and leg feathers.
    [​IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I am no use to help you figure out what they are, but I've noticed quite a few different colours of marans everywhere XD I know of 12 colours total :0

1 person likes this.
  3. Country Marans

Feb 15, 2016
    Missouri
    Nobody knows? Any ideas?

4. Country Marans

Feb 15, 2016
    Missouri
    For future reference; the chick with the brownish color is has a feather defect that is overly marked and comes from an excess of the red coloring gene in Marans. The following is cited from the website http://frenchmaransclubaustralia.yolasite.com/notes-on-breeding.php

The Brown-Red hen
    As for the hens, the colour markings are the same as that for the cock.

• - black, coppery colour at the hackle and nothing else.
    The head and the hackle are more or less a strong copper colour, varying from mid-copper to red-copper, this variance seems to be the result of black dominance.
    Consequently, it is a little more difficult to control the ideal balance with the red-copper colour than with the incorrect light-coppery tone of the hackles that is sometimes encountered. Hens with these overly light yellowish or straw coloured hackles, extensive breast markings, and shafty feathers must be avoided.

[​IMG]
    Overly marked,yellow hackled, showing shafting of the breast feathers.
    [​IMG]
    A close-up of 'mossiness' in the body plumage of a Brown-Red hen.
    The hackle feathers have a black-coloured tip, the ear tufts are usually blackish fawn coloured but are darker than in the cock. All the rest of the body, including the breast must be black without white feathers or other fawn shades, and without a green sheen.
    On the other hand, the coppery colour of the hackle must also be present on the front of the neck or throat, and spread out almost down to the breast.
    The hens, which are correctly copper-coloured, produce a very satisfactory proportion of cockerels with an ideal red mark on the breast.
    These two colour characteristics have a very strong correlative between them; hens that have nice hackles, and cocks that have nice breasts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by