MARANS COPPER BLACK CHICKEN EGGS

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by soimcrazy, Apr 20, 2008.

1. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Be careful, just cause they show that dark of an egg dont mean thats what you will get or the birds will lay that dark of an egg. I have some in the bator due this weekend to hatch, almost that dark. My cuckoos start out pretty dark, but as they lay, the egg color gets alot lighter. My Penedesenca lays almost that dark of an egg all year round, when they lay, they are not very good layers.............

2. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Current bid $102.50 plus $14.95 shipping - and no guarantee they'll hatch, be pullets or produce eggs as dark? I don't think so! [​IMG]

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I know that Bev Davis has some of the very best BC marans eggs, however she's got a long wait list.

I think her eggs are approx $5 each. If you google her name you'll get her site. And fyi, she's out of town for a few weeks....so you might not get a message back right away.

4. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

ps. In the message the ebayer states that the eggs he has shown are from the beginning of their laying cycle.... that's when they lay the darkest eggs. Their egg color may be much lighter now. Beware

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    This is one seller I have to give credit for saying the eggs get lighter as the laying cycle continues.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    That seller lives ten minutes from me. Her eggs are dark, and fertile and she packs them very carefully for shipping.
    Here's one of her eggs hatching out after being set by a silkie hen.
    [​IMG]

and here are some of her eggs after they have lightened up and they have been laying for months.
    [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Here's a picture of my BC roo[​IMG]

8. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have four hens and a roo coming mid June.. I hope the eggs are that dark and that the birds that beautiful!! I am sooo excited...Dixie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by