1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marans, Dominique, BR

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jmtcmkb, Oct 27, 2011.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Can anyone tell me what to look for to figure out what my little one is? I will try and post a pic later. I ordered a dominique, but I am pretty sure she's not a dominique ( no rose comb). She is 4 weeks old, has yellow single comb and a yellow legs with black wash down the front. Her feathers are dark with a mottled look, mostly black but def has the barred look. I asked MPC and they said I probably got a br or marans. I did allow for substitutions and I am not upset she's the sweetest most friendliest chick.

What's the major difference in Marans and Barred Rock?

2. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Marans have pinkish-whitish legs and I believe can have some yellow leakage? Marans are also called 'cuckoo', which is supposed to be different to 'barred'. I've never really seen a difference [​IMG]

I've helped you loads, haven't I? lol

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think with the yellow legs with the black wash down the front you have a BR. I *believe* that s actually one of traits you would look for when sexing it as a pullet. But I've never had them. Doms have a rose comb I think, and Marans would have pink legs. Pictures would help alot [​IMG]

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    A Cuckoo Marans will have whitish legs and skin, and the cuckoo pattern is a bit different from the barred pattern.
    A Barred Rock will have yellow legs and skin, and the legs will often have a dark wash down the front.
    A Dominique has a rose comb and the barring isn't as even as a BR -- it's more jagged.

And pictures... They are always a good idea... [​IMG]

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:x2, couldn't have said it better myself [​IMG]

6. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    What I've always heard about the cuckoo pattern is that the barring isn't as "clean" looking as on a regular barred bird, which I took to mean that the stripes were more blurry and not as clearly defined.

7. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    thanks for the info, I think she's a barred rock. One of my kids has got my camera and it's MIA, as soon as I find it, with batteries I am going to get a pic of her [​IMG]

As a day old she looked so idential to a dominique and not a barred rock... but what do I know. Her barring is very dark and seems to be mixed up, rather than evenly spaced, but maybe she is too young to tell.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    sounds like you have a br

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by