Marans? Dubious

Sterkfarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Milton, ON
Hi Everyone, I was sold these birds as chicks from a fellow who kept wheatens...I saw the flock and the eggs and they looked like 'normal' wheaten marans to me. Flash forward 4 months and this is what i have.
Mr doesnt look like any marans roo I've ever seen and Mrs is almost a uniform buff (like the typical neck feathers except all over; she appears to lack the lovely pale body feathering that is typical). Yes there is gradiation but shes dark. not to mention the black wing feathers?? So I wonder about her. What have I gotten my hands on here?! Also my coop is painted a bright sunny yellow so the pics aren't taken in totally natural lighting. His neck feathers are a pale beige color. They take on a weird gold cast in the light that doesn't exist.

Im not sure about the first two pics, they don't look right at all. The third one is definitely a wheaten, that orangish color is what you want, it shouldn't be pale or creamy colored. (the black on the wings is good too)

I'm not sure about the first two birds. They may just be poorly colored Wheatens, or maybe the breeder accidentally crossed them with another variety. Your third bird, though, is a Wheaten Marans. The coloring and leg color appear to be correct.

Now the birds are much more mature, I'll try and get better pictures in the daylight. They have changed quite a bit. The hen seems pretty legit but the roo, still dubious. Haha

You guys are gonna hate me...I have pics of the same two birds but the site prevents me from uploading more than one at a time. So here goes!
I really appreciate everyone's feedback and advice. Here come the mutts! There is only one male and one female.

Last edited:
[/IMG]
For some reason the quality if the photo doesn't carry through. So just wondering if he is starting to look more like a juvenile wheaten. She isn't too far off the mark. Also he hasn't molted yet, could this explain the discrepancy?

Back
Top Bottom