Marans egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kinsey228, Nov 17, 2011.

1. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    For those of you who have more experience with Marans pullets, do their eggs get darker after their first few ? [​IMG] Mine seems to be laying light brown eggs.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    The sometimes will darken after the first week or so, but typically, not for much longer.

There are many, many, MANY birds that have flooded the market from folks "jumping on the bandwagon" so to speak. It's very possible you may have gotten some birds from someone who didn't have much experience with this breed.

3. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Thank you. I had to get her because she was just soooo pretty ! And she sounds so different from all of my other breeds.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The color of my eggs was disappointing when they first started laying, but once they got 'regulated', the eggs got really nice. It was probably a month or more before the egg color was consistent.

Now, since the weather is stupid and they were molting, their eggs are once again red and spotted (when I get them), but at least I know they are capable of laying nice dark eggs so I'm not going to worry about it [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  5. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Quote:Thank you. I was getting worried. I'd keep her no matter what, but I'm REALLY looking forward to the dark eggs ! [​IMG]

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Best of luck - I hope your gal does continue to dark up. It really depends on what line you have; some lines lay dark right away, others do take a bit of time, though I've not heard of one taking a month to darken.

7. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Quote:Thanks. I have no clue what line I have. I bought her from a fellow BYC'er, and she's won multiple awards for her chickens, so hopefully she's from a good line.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I have no idea what line mine are from, but they did take quite a while to get dark and stay dark. They had a lot of inconsistencies when they first started... one day would be a really light egg, next would be a really dark...etc.

9. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I had two Cuckoo Marans. Both of their eggs were a rich brown, but not the dark, dark brown I was expecting. One of them, Agnes, was killed by a hawk two weeks ago, so we only really got to enjoy her eggs for about three weeks. Her sister, Maybelline, lays HUGE eggs, and the first ones in the clutch are the most evenly coated, and really, quite beautiful in our carton. By the end of the clutch, the eggs are quite speckled, so not as dark, but they are still perfect for fried eggs because the yolks are so big.

10. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    She is still laying tan eggs. Is this the color she will lay, or will they get darker ? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by