Marans Egg Laying

sybonbon

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 9, 2016
Hi all. I love info and stories of your chickens. I'm especially interested in Marans. How old were yours when they started laying? Do yours go broody? How many do you get a week? Did I mention that I love pictures too??? Lol.

I love my Black Copper Marans girls, they started laying for me at about 5 1/2 months. They are great layers too, averaging 5 eggs a week. When they are not broody that is. So far only 1 of my girls has yet to go broody one of my original girls. Holly and Daisy are 18 months old and Holly just finished raising her 2nd clutch of chicks. She went broody the first time last year after just laying for 2 weeks. My other 2 girls are a daughter of Holly and one of Daisy, both have already raised a clutch of chicks and one of them is setting again for the 2nd time this year. The other girl, is starting to act suspicious and it would not surprise me to find her broody again very soon. I don't mind them raising chicks though as they are wonderful mothers who are very protective of their chicks.

I had two Cuckoo Marans. They started laying at around 25 weeks. Both went broody in the fall when they were still pullets.
One was so persistently broody, I allowed her to hatch. All 9 hatched, one died from hypothermia because it got out of the nest and couldn't get back under her. It was only 4" to get back in the nest.
This is Kerrie and her brood.
IMG_20200515_062924809.jpg
IMG_20200527_200730888.jpg

Kerrie is no longer here. She wasn't done raising this brood when she started acting like she wanted to set again.
Once she did wean these chicks, back to the nest she went. I broke her 2 more times before winter set in and she immediately went broody the following spring. I sold her along with another broody EE that turned out to be a terrible mother.

I still have Kylie.
This is her karate move trying to bust out of the run I guess.

Oh no. I hope this broody stuff is not breed related. I have a Black Marans that lays 2 weeks and then goes broody for 3. And I have 2 15 week olds who I hope don't get that way too. Below is Jade aka broody Judy

Attachments

• PXL_20210712_162016582.jpg
    PXL_20210712_162016582.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 10
I love my dark eggs from the French BCMs that I have but they are by far the broodiest of all my breeds. I have had to put one particular hen in the broody box 5 times already this year. I'm about ready to let her be someone else's problem. She'll lay for a week or so then go to setting. Hopefully the pullets I raised this summer won't be as bad

I have one cuckoo marans chicken. She lays eggs that are dark but they aren't too dark. She lays almost every day when she isn't broody. She went broody and so I got her some eggs to hatch. They are due to hatch on Sunday. It's really exciting!

Back
Top Bottom