1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

maran's egg size

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ginasmarans, Aug 16, 2008.

1. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    when my marans(cuckoo) begin laying, the eggs are usually a good size already. No little pullet eggs there. Is that typical of the breed?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My cuckoos have always laid good size eggs from the beginning. I've got 2 blues that started off smaller and their eggs are still smaller. My wheatens aren't laying yet, but the eggs they came from were good sized.

3. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Our cuckoo marans layed pretty big eggs right away. Some of them are huge. The biggest eggs we get except for maybe our white leghorn.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I just got my first copper black marans egg and it is almost the size of a grocery store Large size egg. Dark too!

5. mrpabaloogi

mrpabaloogi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2008
    well done

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Now that my Black Coppers have been laying for a while, their eggs are often too big to fit in cartons.

Here's the one I got yesterday, with a couple "standard" eggs for comparison:

[​IMG]

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    my marans eggs have always been larger then others.

Henry

8. CHICKEN little 1

CHICKEN little 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    W.V.
    I've been looking for some Wheaten Maran eggs to hatch.Any clues to get some?

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Yes, look up bayhorsebonne on ebay, email her and just ask her if you could buy some Wheaten eggs. Her birds are HUGE and her egg quality is excellent. Tell her Patty sent you!

10. katescountryfarm

katescountryfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    South West Florida
    It seems like everyone has large maran eggs. What the heck is wrong with my birds? They have been laying for a month or so and the eggs are medium size....if I'm lucky! I love the deep brown color though. The birds are some of my largest and I get wimpy eggs. All my other birds lay HUGE eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by