Marans eggs in the bator today - Now Hatching!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by claud, Mar 1, 2008.

1. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Wish me luck! I've incubated one batch of eggs(20ish eggs) every year for about 7 years so I wouldn't say I'm a beginner but certainly not as experienced as someone who does it all the time. This year, though, I have some extra risk factors.

1) this is new stock - all new birds from last spring.
    2) It's been very cold this year during collection time. I'm pretty sure the eggs didn't freeze but they certainly weren't in the 55 degree range. I could only collect in the late afternoon so they were in the coop for a while.
    3) they were stored at a cooler than ideal temperature but with proper humidity.
    4) these eggs are dark so I'm a little worried about candling(hope I can see something). They are hatchery Marans so the eggs are only about a 4 on the scale(maybe they will be candlable - ha, good word - since they aren't the real dark eggs some Marans produce).

Anyway, the eggs are in and the temp is coming back up. I can't wait until Easter!
    (only you "chicken people" understand my excitement)

I candled my eggs on day 6. Only one out of 30 is clear - way to go roo! One is questionable. The rest look good as far as I can see(they're hard to see because they are so dark). Wish me luck!

I have 10 healthy little babies so far and more pips. They came an entire day early. I love Easter chicks! Oh, and I am trying the egg carton hatch - seems to be working well.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yes, we understand completely!!!..Wishing you a good hatch...

3. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Good luck to you. I'm going to set 2 doz marans as soon as the temp is stable.

4. lannabun

lannabun Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    indiana
    wishing you luck .. i put duck eggs in today .. so i wont be a hatching buddy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by