Marans eggs-WHICH END IS UP? Help!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cthrash1, Jun 28, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I candled my Marans eggs last night(day 7). They are the ones I got from bayhorsebonne. My problem when I recieved them is I couldn't tell really which end was the big end because the eggs were so big and not the standard shape. So I put them in the bator how I thought they should go. When I candled last night it looked like I put some in the wrong side up according to the airsac position. Will it hurt to go ahead and flip them now?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    no, go ahead and set them the right way. Eggs get turned all sorts of ways under a broody hen. I have never yet seen a hen candle her eggs to see which way to flip them, lol. Good luck with your eggs. How did it look like they shipped? She lives close to me and I just drove over the hill and picked mine up in person. I would be very interested in how the air sacs held up with shipping.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I think some got a little scrambled but not sure...Leaving them in the bator anyway unless they start to stink. The box was cut when it arrived but they didn't get the eggs. Hope to have at least one or two to hatch. I am so excited...They are such pretty birds.

Oh yeah I did get to catch one very active spot in one of them...Love those little Maglights...So bright.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by