Marans eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aberfitch, Mar 28, 2009.

1. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    Should a Black Copper Marans Chick that hatches out white be culled? is it any good for breeding?

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I don't know the answer but maybe you could wait until it was old enough to eat.

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    While more hard-core Marans folks may differ (and will most certainly chime in, LOL!), I personally would hang on to an all-white "sport" to see what happens if you have the space. If you get a couple across several batches you might even be able to see if they breed true. If not, you can cull to someone else's backyard flock - - someone might just love having a white Marans. I would not keep in a regular breeding program with the others, though.

If you got the eggs from a breeder, I would let the breeder know just out of courtesy. A serious breeder would want to know of sports popping up from their breeding program.

Hope you will share photos as the chick develops. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    why cull it? if your a hard core specific type then let someone else injoy it. That like putting a dog or cat down cause you buy new furniture and they clash with it [​IMG]

5. aberfitch

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    I say cull meaning not introduced in my breeding program. I would never kill a chick. They are white/yellow like a white leghorn chick! 3 out of 7 dark dark eggs. I was really confused when I got home and saw this fat beefy little white chick in my hatcer! Anyways I will let it grow up and see what they become!! Kinda exciting! I am taking pictures about every 3 days to show the development of the birds. I will try to keep you guys posted!!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  6. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    If you got it from a breeder get in touch with them and make sure they dont have wheaton marans also. They could have got the eggs mixed up. I hatch for Buddy Henry and He had the eggs marked and had a wheaton come out of a egg he marked bc. He has both so its easy to do

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Wait for it to feather out and if you don't like the color you could advertise it on craigslist and find it a buyer. If it was my chick, I would not put it with my Coppe Blacks, unless you eventually want a lot more just like it. along with unkonwn splits. Probably it is Wheaten.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree that it's probably a Wheaten. From what I understand it's not that uncommon for certain lines of BCs to throw wheaten colored chicks.

9. aberfitch

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    I just got some wheaton eggs also. I plan to keep them seperat so I guess I can keep them after all!

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Quote:While "cull" can often imply killing an unwanted animal, I use the also-common meaning "to remove an unwanted animal or item." Lots of breeders cull to backyard poultry folk. I am one of those backyard folk, and I have a couple of color-based culls in my flock from very good breeders.

No chicks were harmed in the making of this post. [​IMG]

Ed. to add - - aberfitch, do you have any pics to share? I'd love to see your chick.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by