Marans eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hugojim, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Do they taste different? to anyone else?

2. louzianachicken

louzianachicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    I can't tell the difference.

3. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Not to me. But Martha Stewart thinks they are the absolute best thing that ever happened in a kitchen.

4. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    MArtha Stewart is full of beans. She also used to think that blue or green eggs were the bomb. Trendy. They all taste the same to me. They are really pretty in your egg basket, though. [​IMG]

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    That just goes to show ya prison time does strange things to the brain. [​IMG]

6. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    They all taste the same to me. When I first had fresh eggs I could not tell the difference either....until I went out to a restaurant and had eggs for breakfast one day....after eating fresh eggs then getting a store bought egg I could definatly tell the difference. I can't wont eat store bought eggs any more...if my girls stop layig I'll buy from someone selling fesh eggs.

7. Kittyf

Kittyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Except for being rare and prized - my marans lays every 3-4 days while my RIR and BR lay daily! - they are the same in the pan. Okay, she's laid several double-yolkers, so they are bigger, but taste? Identical!

8. louzianachicken

louzianachicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    My marans lay daily, they are about a year old. Don't know if that matters or not.

9. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    They taste the same to me, too.

Not to highjack the thread, hugo, but what varieties of Dutch do you have? I have lavenders and red quills. There aren't many of us around these days, it seems, so I get excited whenever I encounter another admirer [​IMG] .

10. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Marans eggs taste the same as other chicken eggs which are "home grown".
    Home grown eggs *do* taste richer, look deeper yolk coloured and are healthier than shop bought eggs supplied from battery hen farms.

Egg colours, such as the Marans, earn a reputation for being "better" simply because they are not as common as battery eggs. They are not "better" per se, just less frequently seen on the market. On that basis, people *could* cash in on MS's opinion and charge a premium price for their Marans eggs and sell to a niche market. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by