1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

marans from ideal poultry

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Bare bottom farm, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Bare bottom farm

Bare bottom farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    [​IMG] dose any one have Marans from ideal? Photos please! [​IMG] and what are there eggs like ? [​IMG] Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I wouldn't advise getting Marans from a Hatchery the egg color is sub par the way hatcheries breed in colony type situations its very difficult for them to breed towards standard espeacially for egg color.

3. Bare bottom farm

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    Thank you. I have a maran already from ideal pty. I just have chickens for fun and eggs to eat. I just would like to no what to expect from my maran for ideal pty. Thank you again!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Alright I will answer your question with more details. I got Marans from Meyer Hatchery they were the first batch of chicks I got. The hens laid medium brown eggs nothing to get really excited about and oh the lay rate was just horrible horrible horrible. Ok here is my opinion take it or leave it Why get hatchery marans if you can have a sex-link or RIR or Barred rock that lays two times the eggs that are the same color and consumes less feed? Hatchery Marans aren't speacially or atleast mine weren't I did end up with Black Copper Marans from a breeder and they also ate alot and had a bad lay rate but their eggs were much darker a beautiful rich choclate tone very diffrent from my hatchery marans. I 100% suggest Wellsummers over Marans they consume less feed and lay many more eggs the breeder line I got my wellsummer hens from lays beautiful dark eggs to as dark as most Marans including Black Coppers. SO my argument would be either spend the extra cash and get some real Marans that lay amazingly colored eggs or don't keep Marans at all. The name doesn't mean anything (as least to me) if the egg isn't espeacially dark. If you want to know speacifically about ideal poultry I cannot help you but I have never heard that their Marans were any better then Meyer or Murry Mcmurry. All hatchery birds aren't up to par with Breeder Birds I have found this to be the case with every single breed I have ever owned.

Good Luck,
    Henry

5. Bare bottom farm

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    Henery Thank you so much. This helped me alot. I'am new to chickens I got my first chicks in May and I have never had them before. So I have little knowing on the breeds. Thank you again!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by