1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marans from McMurray?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ipf, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ipf

ipf Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Has anyone bought cuckoo Marans from McMurray? How is the egg colour? I understand that most cuckoo Marans in NA have paler eggs than the original breed (or other varieties), but wonder how much paler? A pale as a barred rock, or as a Welsummer?
    Thanks for any info.

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I know a few folks that got marans from mcmurray. Don't do it. They were mixed with barred Rocks. Mcmurray, or their breeders, have been interbreeding in order to improve fertility. It also ruined egg color. A welsummer lays a much darker egg then any mcmurray marans that I have seen. In fact the egg color was not much darker then a Rocks and some were the same as a Barred Rock's eggs.

Matt

3. Eagle2026

Eagle2026 HIGH FLYER

Mar 10, 2009
    Snohomish, WA.
    Wasting your time.
    Do not expect anything above flesh coloring.
    You would be better getting birds local with darker colors.
    DO NOT THROW YOUR MONEY AWAY!!!

Find a couple of Wellies or some Black Copper Marans and pay top dollar.
    You will not be dissapointed.
    Mike

4. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    My 2 free rare chicks were cuckoo marans hen and roo her eggs are not that dark I don't have a pic of them though but could take one tomorrow maybe

5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    It has been a few years ago but the hen I got from McMurray lays a nice big terra cotta egg. I was pleased with her... I was not pleased with hens I ordered from several other hatcheries... I still have her... She was worth keeping... She is 4 now and still lays me a nice terra cotta egg.

6. Eagle2026

Eagle2026 HIGH FLYER

Mar 10, 2009
    Snohomish, WA.
    Quote:I would have to say that is very good.
    Seems that color is a shade of red I would like to see a pix?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta
    Scroll to the bottom of this thread and find your color? Is that what you meant?
    Maybe show him some pix of your eggs?

7. matte

matte Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    BrushyCreekHome.com
    The eggs were definitely darker brown than my rocks, but nothing close to the pictures I see of "chocolate" eggs. This would have been more forgivable if they hadn't been the meanest birds I've ever had. Not just one or two, but all of them. Even the hens tormented a guinea every time it tried to eat or drink. The Australorps and others were terrified of these guys and gals! Not a McMurray issue though...just a hatchery example of a rare bird.

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Yep terra cotta

9. dani2

dani2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    I ordered cuckoo marans last year from Mcmurry and the eggs are definatley not as dark as I have seen from others. The birds looked nice enough and are good layers I also ended up with 8 roosters and 3 hens the rooster was also extremly aggressive.

10. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    I ordered cuckoo marans from them last year. They are laying dark terra cotta eggs also. Haven't any pics, but will post some when I can. We love ours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by