Marans gender and type

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by taterdee, Aug 7, 2013.

1. taterdee

taterdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    I got a mix of maran chicks and would like some help with breed and gender if possible though they are young. I think around 2 weeks old. She said they are splash and blue. Are the darks blue and the white splash? Also it looks like I may have a massive amount of Roos. The combs look very developed for this age! Is that normal for the breed maybe (hoping!). Out of the eight I see one smooth comb! The lighter ones (splash?) weren't as cooperative but all of their combs already have prongs/points.
    Blue pullet?
    [​IMG]
    Blue Roos?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Splash Roos?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    They are way too young to really tell, but I am seeing a lot of chicks that make me think rooster also. Are they supposed to be only blue and splash, or black also? Some of the dark ones look black to me but that may just be the lighting. The really light ones are splash.

3. taterdee

Apr 21, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks! I was having a hard time finding the right info online. Someone just told me Marans' combs develop very early. I'm used to other breeds that a defined comb so early definitely means rooster. So I was alarmed by all the distinct combs. Lol.

4. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    They are pretty! But like Kelsie said it is too early to tell.Maybe you could post again in a few weeks? Then maybe we can help you more !Good Luck![​IMG]

5. taterdee

Apr 21, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    New pics!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I would agree with who you think is a roo so far, probably everybody in the last picture, the barred one, the two you can see combs in the second and 1,2,4 in the first ... the blues are iffy to me, pic #3 and 3,5 in pic#1... they do have red showing up but not much development, #3 also just looks like a girl.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by