Marans Genetic Experts BC Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by snowbird, Nov 18, 2010.

1. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Calling all genetic experts. Would like to know are the Black Copper and the Brown Red Marans one and the same. I know for a fact that you get different results when breeding a Brown Red Chickens , than you do when breeding a Black Copper. So what do the experts say. It would be really nice if someone that had bred both Brown Red and Black Copper would comment. Don

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I dont breed them but I'm pretty sure its the same color, Black Copper would just be a hobby name for Brown Red. What differences are you seeing between breeding the two ?

4. snowbird

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    From what I have observed and heard the American Brown Red and the French Black Copper Marans are two entirely different color patterns. When the French say Brown Red it is the same fowl as Black Copper Marans. Don

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:What?
    Brown Red = Black Copper yes or no?
    Is that your question?

6. snowbird

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Is that your question?

Kathy, I am sure you have been reading the marans thread and know what I am talking about. I would like some opinions from Genetics experts on the defference between the Balck Copper and the Brown red. I know the american Brown Red is different from the black Copper but want some verification from some of the Genetics people as this discussion has been going on for at least a year in Marans circles. From what I understand the Black Copper will be judged as A Brown Red when it comes to things not covered by the proposed standard. Don

7. kathyinmo

8. kathyinmo

Is that your question?

Kathy, I am sure you have been reading the marans thread and know what I am talking about. I would like some opinions from Genetics experts on the defference between the Balck Copper and the Brown red. I know the american Brown Red is different from the black Copper but want some verification from some of the Genetics people as this discussion has been going on for at least a year in Marans circles. From what I understand the Black Copper will be judged as A Brown Red when it comes to things not covered by the proposed standard. Don

I don't follow close enough, or don't pay attention. Sorry, I didn't realize ....

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    According to the Marans of America Club
    There is NO difference between the two and that they are the same breed.

The BROWN-RED VARIETY (Also called Black Copper-neck, Black Copper, Copper Black & Red Birchen)

http://maransofamericaclub.com/Black-Copper.php

The names Black Copper, Black Copper-neck and Copper Black & Red Birchen are all, "generic" hobby names for a Brown Red.

Chris​

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  10. snowbird

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:http://maransofamericaclub.com/Black-Copper.php

The names Black Copper, Black Copper-neck and Copper Black & Red Birchen are all, "generic" hobby names for a Brown Red.

Chris

Chris, we have been through all this before and what I am looking for is the Genetic chart for the Black Copper and the American Brown red pattern and they are in fact different.

I sure wish Henk and or Tim would drop by and see this . Don

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by