Marans in Tennessee or close to it. (WANTED)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, Apr 9, 2009.

1. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Anyone in Tennessee have Marans? I emailed a guy named Ron Presley, he sent me to some guy who works for him named Buddy Henry. And that guy told me they dont sell adults that I can buy eggs for $60 a dozen. I find that kind of rediculous. There has to be more people in Tennessee that has Marans other then those two.

2. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    What marans kind are you looking for? Black Copper? There is a man in kinda north Al that will sell you chicks. He is tgcole on here. I ordered 12 chicks from him. I can give you his phone number if you pm me.

Lots of people sell the marans eggs....you will find a couple people, if you look hard enough, that will sell you hatched chicks. Buying the eggs is really the cheapest way to go, the chicks are alot higher, of course [​IMG]

I haven't found ANY adult birds available at all.....Your best bet most likely will have to be chicks...

Good Luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I would buy eggs but I'm just looking for 2 hens and a rooster. And I don't have an incubator yet. Don't plan on getting one for a while neither.

4. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    I would love some also I have found some hatchery's that have them but most want you to buy 25 chicks and I dont need that many and I dont know of the quality of the color of the eggs. So if you find some in TN at a fair price let me know.

5. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    If I find any I will let you know. >.< its sort of annoying trying to find birds around here. For some reason Tennessee lacks everything I want lol. That or no one in Tennessee that does have what I want, is willing to sell it.

6. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Yeah I though $60 for eggs was too high too, he was going to sell me chicks but "life" happened and he ended up not. I was looking for marans as well and ended up deciding on welsummers. but that seems to be falling apart as well. I was up your way yesterday [​IMG] coming home from the mountains. have you tried crigs list? sometimes you can get lucky. You might try goLSN as well. Crystal

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  7. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    $60.00 a dozen is the going price for Black Copper Marans. Unless you are trying to buy them on ebay where people have really lost their mind. You'll need to add $12.00 to that for shipping. I got mine from Buddy Henry and was pleased with the results.

Litewings
    [​IMG]

8. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    maybe those of us wanting Marans in TN need to pool our money together and get some or help one of us get some and when they get eggs to hatch or chicks they can spread the wealth. Just a thought, I know I would be willing to pitch in to eventually get some Marans or Welsummers.

9. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:If you research, you'll find that $60 for some Marans eggs is a bargain. Buddy Henry is well-respected with some of the best lines available. Feel lucky if you can get on the waiting list for those eggs. There are others in your area that are also well-respected, and the prices are similar. You have chosen the "hot" thing in eggs/chicks right now. Lavender eggs are going for $200 here at BYC, so $60 sounds like a bargain!

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yep! And, if you're wanting the very dark eggs, do your research. I can't stress that enough. Many folks DO have purebred Marans, but the egg color is quite poor. Just because they are a Marans does not guarantee that you'll get dark eggs from them. GOOD LUCK! You might try the Marans boards on the 'net. There are several, and they do have breeders' lists on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by