Marans Maturity

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Suskm, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Suskm

Suskm Chirping

Aug 9, 2012
    Fort Valley GA
    When I purchased my Black Copper Marans roosters and a couple of Splash Marans, along with some other girls, it was said that the Marans breed matures pretty quickly! One of my boys crows his head off and is courting the hens already. They are 15 weeks old at this time. Is it possible that any of the girls are actually mature? Should I even leave the one boy in the pen with these girls. I am concerned he may harm them somehow. He barely has spurs yet but he is grabbing their neck feathers, trying to mate and alarming them terribly. I have never had to deal with this yet as I've not had roosters before. Oi!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    thats how they mate my full grown hens and roo do the same thing the hens will get used to it and wont be so startled by it. roosters get their balance by grabing neck feathers as long as hes not hurting them its fine.

3. Suskm

Suskm Chirping

Aug 9, 2012
    Fort Valley GA
    When I purchased my Black Copper Marans roosters and a couple of Splash Marans, along with some other girls, it was said that the Marans breed matures pretty quickly! One of my boys crows his head off and is courting the hens already. They are 15 weeks old at this time. Is it possible that any of the girls are actually mature? Should I even leave the one boy in the pen with these girls. I am concerned he may harm them somehow. He barely has spurs yet but he is grabbing their neck feathers, trying to mate and alarming them terribly. I have never had to deal with this yet as I've not had roosters before. Oi!

He doesn't seem to be hurting them. He just tries to hang on for dear life without much success. The girls run away as fast as they can squawking like crazy! LOL! I was just concerned since they are still young if they were really ready for my big boy! They are all large fowl some maybe still a month out from laying.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Songster

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Roosters mature faster then hens. Usually there is only a few feathers pulled during this period. It usually takes a month for the pullets to catchup and start to squat for the cockerels. If you can take the teenage angst out there leaving them together to learn is best.

5. Suskm

Suskm Chirping

Aug 9, 2012
    Fort Valley GA
    Thanks for the advice! I think I can take it till they the hang of it all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: