Marans, mix, or just a mess?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by runjbells, Nov 6, 2013.

1. runjbells

runjbells New Egg

Nov 6, 2013
    I have only owned chickens about 18 months and have loved my Red Sex links, Americaunas and White Leghorns. Recently, I got a free group of chicks from someone on Craigslist (who inherited them from somone else) that have grown into some pretty interesting looking chickens. Unfortunately, 5 out of the 8 began crowing this month, and I'm trying to decide if they are worth breeding or better in the crockpot. They are 6 months old. My current guess is that at least a few are Marans or Maran mix. Any insight would be appreciated. The roosters are pictures 1, 2, 4, and 6. i did not include a picture of identical looking birds. Also, birds 1,2, 4, 6, and 7 have feathered legs. Thanks!
    [​IMG] Bir

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    silkie mixes the second one might be a pure silkie

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They all look like silkie x polish crosses. Might even have some Sultan in them.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All of them look like Silkie mixes. Though the second one could be a purebred, but poor quality Silkie.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't see any Marans influence, I see a very prolific silkie somewhere! they all show silkie influence, probably with different breeds in the non-silkie part of the mix.

"Worth breeding" just depends on if you want some silkie mix chicks, it's pretty subjective. Are they purebred birds who are going to give you chicks you can sell for $$$, no. Could some of them be nice backyard birds, absolutely. Just depends on your goals are for chicks.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by