1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marans... Not APA Approved???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PepsNick, Jan 3, 2011.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I am yet to get my SOP book (currently working on my own SOP [​IMG]) and read today that Marans aren't APA approved??? I had no idea! [​IMG] Why not? Hopefully I'll be getting them in the Spring, but I'm so mad about this!

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Huh????? Last time I remember, the breeders were working on it. But they SHOULD be APA approved!

3. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    There should be an organization for approving them! [​IMG]

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    No as of now they are not. I think the Black coppers may be approved in Feb sometime of this year. The wheatens will probably be next in line. I'm not sure after that.

5. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:[​IMG] I sure hope so! So Marans are like Wyandottes- all approved separately?? [​IMG]

edited for typos

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well they better HURRY up for the next publication, which I hope not too long of a time!

7. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Yep! Tick, tock, tick, tock... [​IMG] When was the last one, 2001 or something?

8. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    It takes a long time to get a new breed into the Standard: the minimum is 5 years. Once included, it is not quite so difficult to get different varieties included, but it still takes a lot of time to get those new varities up to a Standard where they can be shown. Also, without the numbers it is simply impossible.

9. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Well what year did they come to the US?

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    And they really need to update the Welsummer part......it is somewhat vague.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by