Marans on ebay

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kstaven, Feb 9, 2008.

1. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Please look very closely at the pictures of the Marans on ebay. I know the eggs show dark color in the pictures. But Marans have distinctly WHITE legs (this includes the copper/black etc). The pictures of the "sports" etc are dark and yellow legged. A sure sign of a cross to another breed.

IMHO if you are looking for "pure marans" look elsewhere.

2. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    if u dont watch ebay peps on there the will lay it to u on shiping it is crazy it is geting where i am going to quite useing ebay sorry [​IMG]
    farmer matt

3. kstaven

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I do a fair amount of buying on Ebay. It is a buyer beware market. Just drives me when I see things misrepresented like that. No doubt they will get a good buck considering the egg picture and some poor slob will find out to late that they got ripped off badly.

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    yeah its like the ones that have sexlinks and are breeding them and trying to tell you that the eggs will be sexlinks,gotta watch it all the time,but I dont think most are doing it on purpose they are just ignorant and dont know what they are doing

5. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I bought some black copper eggs from Ebay last year. They were no darker than RIR eggs. Only two of twelve hatched, which was probably a good thing. Since then I've stuck with reputable breeders.

6. kstaven

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I emailed the seller regarding the non white legs and a few other things about the birds. What a jerk. Told me to just not F''''n by from them then. As far as they are concerned laying darker eggs are enough to call them "purebred Marans". So at that point I would say it is intentional and not just an honest mistake, or lack of knowledge.

7. bamagirl68

bamagirl68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    central alabama
    wow, he seems like a nice guy![​IMG]

8. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Quote:I sell my eggs on Ebay and always charge actual shipping. It's often as hard to find a good buyer as it is a good seller. Even though I do everything I possibly can to send good quality eggs, I still get complaints from some buyers if they didn't all hatch [​IMG] Ebay is a great resource if you shop with your wits about you, but you do have to be choosy about who you buy from.

9. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    Quote:Wow,I had no idea people would be that dishonest on ebay,I guess Ill have to be more carerfull

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Which auction was that? I saw two. One had the eggs starting around $28 and the other set of eggs were up to around $55 with multiple bids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by