Marans or Welsummers from MyPetChicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by AinaWGSD, May 19, 2010.

1. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    We are considering placing a small order with MyPetChicken and are looking for a colorful egg basket. So far I have EE, exchequer leghorns, speckled sussex, partridge plymouth rock, and wyandottes on our "wish list." I am toying with the idea of adding marans or welsummers as well for an extra dark egg but have heard that hatchery stock of these breeds often lay eggs that aren't much darker than a "regular" brown egg. I don't care if they aren't the "best" color for the breed, but if I'm going to pay the 4.25/pullet I want the eggs to be at least noticeably different from the rest of the brown eggers. Any thoughts/personal experiences with these breeds from this particular hatchery?

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Anyone?

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I think you'll be disappointed in hatchery welsummer,marans or other specialty color eggs. I've had customers show me the "first egg" and this is usually the darkest and they are so pale and washed out. I've seen darker RIR eggs. Just my 2 cents. I don't know where you are but I sell and do custom hatches of dark egg layers and know other BYC'ers that do as well.

Thanks and have a blessed day!
    Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by