Marans Owners -- anything "bad" about this breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Anne, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I would very much like to acquire some Marans for their lovely dark eggs!

As someone who has raised one breed (Araucanas) exclusively for many years, I was shocked when I picked up a trio of Polish for my husband last fall. I found them to be unthrifty, neurotic, and hard to keep clean. I had heard that they needed extra protection from predators due to their crests (which I dutifully provided), but no one told me about the other stuff!

SO, before I go ahead and order myself some Marans hatching eggs, I'd like to know: are there any pitfalls to this breed? I've read quite a bit about them, and the only "bad" thing I've heard is that they're not great layers (though I'm not sure how true this is). Is there anything else I should know?

I sure would appreciate y'all's help! Thanks!

P.S.
    How do you pronounce "Marans?" Is it "Muh-RAHNS?" "MA-runhs?" Neither? Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Hi Anne - I haven't heard any negatives. In fact, my shipment of Marans chicks goes out tomorrow for Tuesday delivery. There's a man on here that sells them. Mine hatched yesterday. Can't wait to add this breed to our flock.

Edited to add - here's the link to Mr. Jesse's Marans - he's such a sweet man - calls and talks and is very informative.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65500

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    They are my first chickens, bought eggs off ebay on a whim. They have been trouble free completely, for a beginner, so far four months, no troubles, lots of smiles, happy feelings, pretty PRETTY birds, now just waiting to see what the eggs look like, crossing finges for August or September.

4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I love my marans. They are large,calm and hassle free. As far as not being great layers,I've gotten 18 eggs from my 4 non brooding hens over the past 5 days. I'd say that's pretty good laying. The only drawback is mine have been a broody bunch this year and if you're not wanting broodies,that may be a bad thing. They are good setters and make wonderful mothers.

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I love mine. They lay beautiful dark eggs, and a bunch of them! I get 16-18 a week from three hens.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I too really like my Marans. The only complaint I've got is they like to go broody. I've had them for almost 6 years and I can't see ever being without them.

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I ordered straight run Cuckoo Marans, which of course meant I received all males [​IMG] BUT the two roos we butchered, were DELICIOUS and HUGE in 3.5 months, and the one we kept is our Alpha Rooster, Jean-Robert. He has the strangest crow anyone has ever heard. From the orchard across the creek, it sounds like an elk mating call [​IMG] I can only speak for male Marans, as I have yet to order a female. I will definitely get some for my next springtime order.

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Oh, sorry, I'm not sure on the pronunciation. I use your second pronunciation.Hey dangerous- if you were sent all males in cuckoo marans, they did a number on you. They are relatively easy to sex as day olds. I can get it right about 75% of the time.

9. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Ummm, I have found having Marans to be like eating potato chips, cant have just one? Is that a bad thing? [​IMG]
    I started with one pair of Cuckoo Marans, now have 10 Black Copper babies, 6 more Cuckoo Marans teenagers, and look forward to having more variety of Marans, such as Blue, Black, etc.....
    The Cuckoo Marans hen I have is one of my most prolific layers, nearly an egg a day - she even continued to lay during our recent "firestorm" with helicopters buzzing overhead, bulldozers blading within a hundred of feet of our property, and getting soaked by the sprinklers I had running continuously to keep them as wet as possible! She's amazing.

Here is a pic of my Cuckoo Marans rooster, he is the most gentle guy!

[​IMG]

10. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I read whatever I could find about Marans and other breeds while trying to decide on my own upcoming flock. The only "bad" thing I heard about them was that they are apparently feed hogs, especially if they don't have additional protein in their diet. I can not say one way or the other about whether that is true or not.

I think the black coppers are especially attractive, and I love the idea of those dark eggs. I finally decided against getting any, for now at least, because: 1. they are quite large birds, and I decided to go with smaller breeds; 2. the possible problem of feed inefficiency; 3. the current fad that has sent prices so danged high!

I am currently getting to know one of the guys who is now getting the new Marans Chicken Club organized, and fortunately he lives close to my new property. So I plan on getting acquainted with his birds. If I decide I can't live without them, then I can get some from him in the future. In the meantime, I keep reading. [​IMG]

If anyone here gets seriously interested in Marans, I recommend joining the Marans Chicken Club list on yahoogroups. They have plans for getting organized in the near future, with a newsletter and shows and such. Their goal is to get the breed recognized by APA. The more members, the better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by