Marans owners welcomed!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickeneyfoot, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Bev davis

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Wade jeane

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Both!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chickeneyfoot

chickeneyfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2011
    Who's marans are better? In terms of egg color, looks, etc..

I personally like both! But bev davis marans are my favorite!~ :)

What about you? Vote & put your answer below & why! :)

Who's black copper is better?

This is not meant to offend anyone! Just Personal opinion!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Really hard to say, I've never had birds pure and straight from the original breeder but claimed birds of the stock I've had are slightly varied. Jean usually comes out small but with great eggs, Davis is said to be bigger birds but honestly I find some to be rather narrow. Egg size is bigger but color isn't always as good.

But again, never had true, pure stock straight from the original breeder.

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Couldn't say.
    I only have one Black Copper Marans. I only got her to add a little size to my Easter Eggers, but have yet to hatch an egg and keep a chicke from her, the best that I can tell all the ones hatched have turned out to be roosters and I haven't kept one because I don't want a bunch of dark colored EE's. I like the variety of colors coming from them.

That being said I have a Wheaten Splash rooster with them currently and am getting a lot of Blue Wheaten and Wheaten looking babies.

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    My vote is Bev Davis birds...hands down. These will always be my favorites. I have had birds from 4 very prominant lines and no matter what I end up coming back to my original Davis birds.

I will say that this spring I am getting some birds that are from the Jeane lines and I am very excited. They are the Silver Birchen Marans and I can barely stand the wait. I'm going to make Silver Blue Birchens with them so they will be my special project birdies.

5. chickeneyfoot

Dec 17, 2011
    Pinkchick, Who's eggs you like better>? :)

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State

I can say my favorite eggs are the shiny deep ruby to russet red colored eggs and roundness and very large size of eggs from the Davis birds and the consistent color they continue to produce throughout their laying cycle.
    However, Jeane line birds are known to lay some very lovely dark chocolate eggs, but my experience with the Jeane birds is limited so I am unsure of their consistency of their lay abilities and how long they will carry the color during their cycle,but I am sure they fluxuate just like the Davis birds do.

Hoping someone with Jeane line birds will chime in and give you their opinion as well.

7. chickeneyfoot

Dec 17, 2011
    Yes! I will post around to see what people say. THnks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by