Marans Peeps...Any benefit to joining a Marans Club/Preference?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MNKris, Sep 21, 2010.

1. MNKris

MNKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    I was wondering how many of you belong to one of the Marans clubs, and if so, which one? I am struggling with this. I have found that the one club that I am a member of, hasn't been very beneficial to me. it seems I have just come in contact with some wierdos and one of the officers actually took $$ from me and then never delivered the right chicks to me, but refuses to refund my $$ (almost $100). I was sent the wrong color. This club also has an officer that is my all-time favorite marans person.

I am almost to the point where I feel like I should just throw in the towel with the club thing. I hear so much about the in-fighting, lack of APA standard, which club is "the real" club, etc. I am wondering if it is just me and the people I have come in contact with, or if this is just part of the Maran "morale".

I should add that I don't really care about showing. I am more interested in egg color, but I am trying to breed a larger sized fowl to the actual french standard. Specifically the black and blue coppers, and the blue and standard wheaten. I have a very nice flock that I have been growing over the last 4 years or so. I think marans are rediculously over-priced for the quality that most people are selling. There is one fabulous member here that I purchased some nice chicks from this spring, but it seems everyone wants to get rich quick on Marans...Nobody gets rich on chickens. That's the funny part about it...

2. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:I no longer belong to either of the Marans clubs and the only one that will have a say in the proposed standard is MCCusa as they are the promoting group to the APA. By belonging to the Marans club you will be able to get info on what is happening with the proposed standard.

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    My French cuckoos are HUGE, they are just starting to lay, not very dark eggs but the body type is fantasic.

4. MNKris

MNKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    Quote:I think that is just what I am going to do too. I currently belong to the MCCUSA, but I suppose like all clubs, different personalities, different levels of honesty, etc. Love my chickens and that's enough for me. No need to show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by