Marans price?

Calliopia

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Hi

I am looking at 6, 1-2 yr old pullets as a group from just a local person. Not papered, certified anything but otherwise in good health. What would be a fair price for the group?

Thanks!

Last edited:
And this may be a stupid question but I've only ever dealt with production reds, but how do I tell a Cuckoo Marans hen from a Barred Rock hen w/o seeing it lay an egg?

Its not a stupid question at all, it is hard sometimes to see the difference but Barred Rocks have more distinct barring and in Cuckoo Marans, overall the bird will look darker, so look nearly black, and their barring will be a bit more blurred and less distinct. It is the same color/gene in both breeds, it just has to do with the differences in the feathering rates of the two breeds. Look up some pics of the two and see if you can see what I mean.

And as for the price, the eggs are the same on the inside so personally I wouldnt pay any more for a Marans hen than I would for any other hen which is about $10 each which is about the average market price around here for them.

depends on the darkness of the egg...darker shells bring more for some

and 1-2 year olds are hens

I just bought 21 birds or so of various types and such for $150

I have/had some hatchery barred rocks and some cuckoo Marans. I could not tell any difference in the barring whatsoever. I would imagine they were pretty close to the same breed. The only way I could tell a difference is that the Marans had white legs and the Barred Plymoth rocks had yellow legs.

The Birds did lay a nice dark egg. Not as dark as my coppers or the Wheaten Marans but not bad at all.

Thanks for the info, they are asking about $60 for the group so at $10 each I was hoping that was reasonable and it sounds like it is. Not a steal but not bad either.

Back
Top Bottom