Marans prone to blood spots in eggs?

Flock Leader

Songster
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Israel
We have friends who have beautiful Marans and we were all set on getting some hatching eggs from them, but they warned us that their chickens almost always have blood spots in their eggs. I know brown-egg layers are more prone to have blood/meat spots than white egg layers. Are Marans especially prone to have blood spots? Or maybe it has to do with their specific strain? Or something in their diet? Thoughts appreciated!

I've never heard brown eggers have more blood spots than white. My first thought is, that's a misconception as more white eggs are commercial and candled, and more brown eggs are non-commercial and not candled.

Anyhooo...

My Marans don't have any blood spots. In my experience, they're more present in high production layers, or new layers, or a bird that's had some trauma or drama recently. Mine are staid old ladies who decline drama and lay when they deign to
roll.png

From my personal experiences blood spots are seen more in flighty birds prone to bumping and bashing themselves. I get an array of egg colors and it isn't more common in any color. It can also be hereditary, but for the most part blood spots have to do with ruptured blood vessels in the oviduct lining.

I've never heard brown eggers have more blood spots than white. My first thought is, that's a misconception as more white eggs are commercial and candled, and more brown eggs are non-commercial and not candled.

Anyhooo...

My Marans don't have any blood spots. In my experience, they're more present in high production layers, or new layers, or a bird that's had some trauma or drama recently. Mine are staid old ladies who decline drama and lay when they deign to
roll.png
Ditto Dat^^^

Mostly boils down the the individual bird.

Back
Top Bottom