Marans pronunciation ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by grandmaof5, Sep 22, 2009.

1. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    I saw someone asking about Cochins, and I've been wondering how to pronounce Marans; is it mare' ins or mar' ins or mare ins' or mar ins' or even mar' on or mar on', (the latter 2 I think sound French, so that's how I'd lean). Anyone know how the French breeders say it? I am sure there are different pronunciations around North America (gee, even a word like 'car' sounds different in different areas...) [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Ask 3 different Marans folks & you'll probably get 3 different answers to that one.

Most of the more well-known breeders I've spoken with pronounce it like the name "Karen" but with an "M." The "s" is silent, and is always used on the end of the breed name, even if you're speaking of just one bird.

3. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    Thanks for the reply; now, I might not seem like such a dolt if I mention them to anyone... [​IMG]

4. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    mar on' would be the closest to how I've heard a French pronounce it. [​IMG]

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    There's at least 20 or 30 different ways of saying it. [​IMG] I personally say "MARE-uns" -- but the French pronunciation is something more like "Mur-AAA", if I'm remembering correctly.

Just remember to SPELL it correctly, and you'll be okay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by