Marans pullet got hurt what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Soaring Chicks, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Hello I found one of my Wheaten Marans pullets hanging with one leg caught in the coop door. She acts like she can not control the leg at all. I have her in a dog crate by her self she is eating and drinking. She has tried to stand but her leg(s) won't hold her. Is there anything I can do for her or would it be best to put her down? I don't want her to suffer. If she can live with a good quality of life that is fine. Any and all info or help would be great! Thanks

2. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry about your pullet [​IMG] A week ago my rooster caught his leg in the fence and he couldn't walk on it. He just held the leg up in the air and hopped on one leg, but he was flexing his toes like he wanted to use it but it was too painful. I put vitamins in the waterer to help with the stress of his injury and waited. He is just starting to use the leg again. I would keep your pullet confined like you are doing and give her vitamins and hard boiled egg for a boost and give her a chance to heal before you think about putting her down. If she is eating and drinking that is a good sign! GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  3. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    I did put Vits in the water right away I forgot about hard boiled eggs. Thanks for the info on your roo. I really hope she gets better. She was one of the nices and one of my favs. I just did not know if they can recover after something like that. It is/was very upsetting. I don't know what happen the area she has hanging from is very small ,the heat lamp for winter has hanging down the place looked ran sacked. Never in all the time that we have had the chickens has this ever happened. I just don't see how it did. Has me [​IMG] as to how she did that to her self. Thanks again your post makes me feel a lot better.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  5. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] she's all better now and back w/the flock!

6. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    THANKS TO EVERYONE [​IMG] that helped me and to all who wished the best for Ginger. She is starting to putting on some pounds now and getting back her spot in the pecking order. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by