Marans question...confused

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wistlindixie, Mar 14, 2011.

1. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Songster

Feb 27, 2011
    I bought hatching eggs off ebay. Marans (blue copper to be exact). Two hatched. One is a very pretty lavender grey with feathered feet. The other chick I have lost among the austrlorps and I cannot tell which one it is! There aren't any other chicks the color of the grey one and no others have feathers on their feet but two DID hatch from very dark eggs. Confused......... any suggestions? [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. gilavina

gilavina Songster

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:When dealing with blue coppers, you will be still dealing with blue genetics, which will produce blue, splash and black. If I had to guess on the lighter chick, it is either a light blue or a blue splash. It is possible with the Marans that you still will get clean legged chicks from time to time as well. Hopefully the little guy will make himself known soon [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If your Marans are not feather shanked that isn't really a good thing, but would explain why you can't tell the difference. So, if so, you're gonna have to wait til it matures. It will either show up with coppering or stay a solid black (some hens do) and in general be much bigger than your Australorps.

btw - No such thing as "blue splash" - It is just simply called Splash. [​IMG]

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    eventually she will lay a dark egg, or if it is a roo, hopefully it will grow copper hackles pretty soon and you will know which one it is.

5. gilavina

gilavina Songster

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:yes...I know...I just meant that even tho the coloring is coming in and looks like a blue..it may still be a splash...some people call a bird that is still predominantly blue but with splash markings...blue splash to denote the base coloring.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:THANK YOU!!!

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:yes...I know...I just meant that even tho the coloring is coming in and looks like a blue..it may still be a splash...some people call a bird that is still predominantly blue but with splash markings...blue splash to denote the base coloring.

THat is inaccurate at best. If it has splash markings, it is splash. THere is a range in the background colouring--from white to a fairly medium blue. But all are SPLASH.

8. gilavina

gilavina Songster

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska

THat is inaccurate at best. If it has splash markings, it is splash. THere is a range in the background colouring--from white to a fairly medium blue. But all are SPLASH.

like I said. I know that they are all splash and I was talking about the background color, just as you said. I didn't mean to offend anyone or to come off like I don't know anything like it seems apparently people think I have. I apologize for trying to help and mentioning the term as I hear it often when talking about splash birds with blue coloring, regardless of its accuracy or not.

hope you are able to figure out which one is your other Marans soon

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  9. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Songster

Feb 27, 2011
    thought I might include the one I am for sure about's picture

[​IMG]

10. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Hi Congratulations on your little Splash chick! Very Cute!

I am not sure what Australorp chicks look like and wonder if they look at all like a Marans chick upon hatch....usually feathered shanks would be a helpful clue but if all the other chicks have clean legs then it can for sure be tricky and sometimes feather legged Marans can produce offspring that are clean legged from time to time.

If you have a very small number of chicks, perhaps you could post some photos of them and maybe someone can or will come along and help identify the other Marans for you..or the very least give some helpful hints to watch for, or perhaps advise to watch a certain chick as it matures.

Hope this helps and hope more come by to help. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: