marans question?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dinahmoe, Jan 9, 2010.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    hello all!i don't have any experience with marans at all.i do have my first black copper marans chick(clean legged).it is about 10 days old..now all i am interested in is pretty eggs and hatching babies for myself(right now).i have a chance to get a 4 month blue copper pullet(clean legged).if my bcm chick is a boy would that make a good pair?thanks

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
  3. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Well, that depends on a lot of things. For instance, both are clean-legged, while the French standard and the proposed APA standard both call for feathered legs. So do you want offspring that meet the standards? In that case you should choose a mate that has feathered legs. Also, did they both come from dark eggs? Do they both have good coloration? The requirements for making a "good pair" may be very simple or very complicated, depending on what your personal goals are.

If you only want to consider feather color, then there's nothing wrong with mating a BCM with a blue copper. The offspring will be 50% black copper and 50% blue copper.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your birds!

4. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:thank you!

5. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:thanks.i was just wanting hens that lay dark eggs for myself.if i have babies i just want purebreds and since i would possibly have a boy and girl marans it might work.i just didn't want to breed two that could have problems with the babies.i am still new to chickens and i am not trying to breed to standards yet.i have alot more reading to do.lets just hope that the 10 day old chick is a pullet.thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by