Marans Roo age?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LuvMyRoo, Sep 30, 2012.

1. LuvMyRoo

LuvMyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    Hi all! New Roo momma here :) A friend of mine gave me a stray rooster she found running her street. He was a bit gangly and scrawny at first but he is blossoming into a big handsome man! As his colors have come in I am thrilled as I believe he is a Black Copper Marans. He is so fun to have around, very inquisitive and follows us around. We adore him! He is just starting to sprout some baby feathers on his legs, so I was wondering if someone could tell me his approx age. I wish I had a pic on this computer to post! TIA!

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Marans are born with shank/toe feathers, they don't usually come in later. That said, if he was in poor condition and running through bushes and mud, then they may be coming back in, as they can break off. Got a pic of your boy??

3. LuvMyRoo

LuvMyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    Interesting, thank you! Its not the best photo for showing him off, but I did have this one on fb, let me see if I can post correctly. Also just realized I posted this in the main forum and thought I was on the Marans thread...oops, hope that wasn't a faux pas!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by