Marans roo losing feathers on feet??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by New Hatcher, Sep 16, 2010.

1. New Hatcher

New Hatcher Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    So I just got my blue copper marans roo a month ago and had put him in with his new girls. When trying to find a home for one of my other roos the person wanting to take him asked if I had trouble with Scaly leg mites so I looked not ever having seen them before..... Well I do have them and so now am in the works of getting them cleared up. I have read and search all info on BYC that I could but I'm worried about my BCM roo.

He is 4 months old had ( HAD ) feathered shanks but they are gone now the holes where the feathers were are black or just plan empty. His legs are a nice blue color on the front but get really pink looking with a light red spotting near the back and bottom. Some of the feather holes are bleeding as well. His leg scales are a little raised but not bad. Can SLM make the feathers fall out or is this something else???

2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    The females are picking his feathers..

3. New Hatcher

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    Ok very easy so I jumped a bit... [​IMG] [​IMG] So next question why are his girls picking his feathers??

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Protein deficiency maybe? What are you feeding them?

5. New Hatcher

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    They get a mix of layer ration, hen scratch, and a free wheat corn mix. No kitchen scraps for these guys because they are inside and it just gets stinky. Hunting season is coming up do they need meat scraps? I also have beef suite in the freezer from sausage making could I give them that? I had heard dog food can help with that too, anyone else do this?? Could you use wet food??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by