Marans, welsummers, and other dark egg layers.

JR90

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 4, 2014
Oklahoma
First off, I have loads of questions. Haha, I have a mixed flock, all from Cackle hatchery. (Black Australorps, golden comets, barred rock and EE's) I love them all! I am wanting to explore the amazing colors of eggs. My family and friends gets all the eggs we can't eat and they love the colors - even though they just range from beige to orangy brown. (EEs aren't laying yet) Also, if this has been asked before, I apologize. I searched but nothing came up as specific as I wanted.

Moving on...

1. On the Maran topic: is there a difference (other than feather coloring) in the blue, black, or splash marans? Personality, egg color, production rate etc. (personal stories welcome)

2. What common (or somewhat common) dark egg layers are there (near NE Oklahoma - this isn't too important) other than marans and the wellies?

3. Other than dark egg layers and the surprise colored EE eggs, what can I add for uniqueness to my flock? I do want to have a well rounded layer. I get an egg a day from the ones I currently have laying. I would hope to find something at least like 4/wk during high egg producing season, but I am open to be persuaded.
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

Pictures are sooo welcome. I would love to see pictures of hens and their eggs and anything else you all can offer.

Back
Top Bottom