MARANS: what are crosses (like CM x BCM = BCM color) called?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Peeper7, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Are marans classified according to what color they are? I happen to have CM hens and BCM roos. What might I get and would they be considered "pure" if both parents are different colors?
    Hope I'm communicating this well enough.... thanks![​IMG]

2. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    They'd be purebred breedwise, but not colorwise [​IMG] Unless it's show birds you're going after, I wouldn't be too concerned with the color, as much as keeping them pure Marans in general (and making sure their egg color is dark enough. I think they need to be a 4+ if I remember right).

3. Peeper7

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    I do need to get a color chart if I'm going to breed marans. So if I offered hatching eggs for sale from the matings of BL/B CM roo x cuckoo hen, what would I call them? If I bred like colors would I offer eggs of that color bird? Is it taboo to mix the colors? Or is the egg color the primary factor? I would think feathered shanks should best not be bred to clean-legged.
    ....I AM a member of the MOA . . [​IMG] I suppose I should ask them ... ... but their forum is not as "active" as BYC... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I'm trying that cross becouse, all of my cuckoo rooster where nasty, and the BC one are not,
    have you tried this color chart, from what I can see, the cross will get you sex-link colored chicks

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html?mgt

but who knows [​IMG]

5. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I got some Cuckoo eggs once from a breeder.Hatched them and they were cuckoo but, the babies that came from them ended up looking like Birchin end of the line. The egg color was good but I couldnt sell any of them as Cuckoo.He had crossed to get the egg color.But then down the line they are gonna come back.
    I had black hens with silver necks.Pretty birds.

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Yup, they would be sex-linked. Roo's barred and pullets black with gold or red lacing on their breasts.

7. Peeper7

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Wow , that chart is pretty intense! thank you!
    I have Cuckoo Roos but they don't seem right... they seldom have tail feathers and almost look "rumpless." This may be a defect and i don't want to breed it until I learn more. My hens are all cuckoo.
    My Black and blue CM roos are just beautiful (I think). Someday I will take the time to check them against the standard and see if they are show-worthy or breeders.

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    the fellow that created that chart is on BYC, henk69

9. Peeper7

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm not sure I understand how to use it...

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    to use it simply, just change the color pic, show examples, or "help, pick from color list, the other stuff is more for those who understand genetics

once you get the hang of it, it work great

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by