Marans.. what do i get if I breed BC over white?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pop57, Jan 7, 2010.

1. pop57

pop57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Mount Sterling, Ky
    I have a few white marans hens that i want to experiment with. Anyone have an idea what i'll get with Black Copper roo over white marans hens?
    Thanks In advance.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    Since white marans are recessive white, the F1 offspring will look just like black coppers.

3. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    It depends entirely what the White is masking, and that could be anything. Unless you know the breeding you won't find out until the chicks are born. I think it is very likely the Whites are derived from Cuckoos, & if so you will get Cuckoo cockerels and Black pullets, both may have a little red breaking through in the neck hackle and shoulders. All will carry Recessive White. Let us know when they are born.
    David

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    David... you sound like the person to ask... If I bred my BC roo to a GC female.... Unrelated would that give me a sexlink? in that the males would be cuckoo and the females BC? or would I have to breed the offspring of the two together to get that sexlinking?

5. blackdotte

Nov 18, 2008
    Yes this a classic non-barred male over barred hens. The cockerels will be very like Golden Cuckoo ans should show the head spot at birth, the pullets will be very much like Black Coppers,no headspot at birth.
    David

6. pop57

Sep 12, 2008
    Mount Sterling, Ky
    The white marans hens are from a cuckoo. I have a white roo as well im guesssing he's cuckoo also. So if you breed white over white then because of the original type you will get cuckoos with a recessive white? White recessive mean's that the white could return at anytime? Is there a percentage guesstimate?

Next question what do you breed to get a splash maran?

Thanks for not going too tech. crazy on the answers, my old brain thanks you. [​IMG]

7. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Splash Marans will result from this pairing.

Blue x Blue = 25% Black, 50% Blue, 25% Splash offspring.

Then of course provided you have a Splash bird you can get Splash with these pairings.

Blue x Splash= 50% Blue, 50% Splash offspring.
    Splash x Splash= 100% Splash offspring.

Splash birds have 2 copies of the blue gene and the result is Splash coloring, unlike blue birds that have only 1 copy of the blue gene.

If you wanted all blue birds the pairing would be this: Splash x Black = 100% Blue offspring.

Blackdotte- PLEASE correct me if I am wrong!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  8. pop57

Sep 12, 2008
    Mount Sterling, Ky
    OK???? Blue is obtained from what breeding what?
    Pop

9. blackdotte

Nov 18, 2008
    So if you breed white over white then because of the original type you will get cuckoos with a recessive white?

No, you will get Whites only, the masked colour/pattern will only become pbvious if you mate these birds to a non-white bird.

OK???? Blue is obtained from what breeding what?

You can not make blue from non=blue birds, you have to introduce the Blue gene froma bird that already has it.
    David​

10. pop57

Sep 12, 2008
    Mount Sterling, Ky
    Ok I think i got it so far. Thanks. So in essence the blue or splash marans are not true /pure marans?

Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by