Marans With Featherless Legs?

Labelles Velders

Chirping
Mar 21, 2019
Hello! I am VERY interested in getting Black Copper Marans in a few years (Those EGGS!), but I strongly dislike feathered legs (No offense, but I like my chicken legs sleek lol). Are Marans without feathered legs bred often? Would they be difficult to obtain via hatching eggs or from a breeder? Thank you for reading!

It depends how much money you want to spend on them you could potentially buy from a breeder on poultry centeral but then you have to go through shipping and super expensive birds. But your most likely not to find them.

I have cuckoo marans. They don't have feathered legs. They lay big lovely dark brown speckled eggs. They are also very docile, so easy handling.

Agreed. Sometimes, hatchery marans will not have feathered legs, because hatchery standards aren't often show standards. There was another poster here on BYC who had a featherless-leggef marans. It does happen.

Oh heck good forgot thanks yes cuckoo marans kinda like barred feathering on them but lay dark eggs also have 2 if there is yellow leg it is Barred Rock

Agreed. Sometimes, hatchery marans will not have feathered legs, because hatchery standards aren't often show standards. There was another poster here on BYC who had a featherless-leggef marans. It does happen.
I'm in uk so I'm not sure what the the difference in breed standards is. I got mine from a breeder.

I have a gorgeous Midnight Majesty Marans (Hoover's name for their Marans Mix) and she has clean dark slate legs. The breed description stated that some have feathered legs and some don't, so it's not a definite either way. I purchased her from TSC and she had clean featherless legs as a day old sexed pullet. I can't comment on her eggs as she hasn't started laying yet (hatch date of Aug 22, 2019). Maybe this is an option?

Edited to add that their "breed standard" isn't necessarily true as MMM aren't a true breed. I changed standard to description

Back
Top Bottom