Marans with poopy bottom and not laying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zoelovesmom, Feb 2, 2012.

1. zoelovesmom

zoelovesmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    I have a black copper marans hen who has a poopy butt. Her vent looks OK, but the (formerly pretty and fluffy) feathers under it had a big poop rock in it. I got a wet rag and soaked it and cleaned it as best I could.

However, this same hen has not been laying since early December. All the other chickens in the flock have laid during this time; we have added supplemental light because our coop is on the shady side of the house, under the deck, and I'm in Colorado where there's been snow on the ground since November or so, so they have to spend a lot of time in the coop.

Other than the poopy bottom and not laying, this hen looks and acts totally happy and healthy. She eats normally and runs around acting normal.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Is she starting to molt? Around this time they aren't laying because they are either molting or growing their feathers in.

If they've been in their coop for a while and it's wet, there's a higher chance of them getting worms or Cocidiosis.

Signs of worms is runny poops, which can lead sticking to their fluff.

Before I get into detail I need to know if shes molting or finishing molting.... so I don't waste my time writing about worms.. [​IMG]

3. zoelovesmom

Jul 22, 2011
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    No, she is not molting. She was born in early May, so she's less than a year old. The coop is dry, not wet. The ground has been covered in old snow, though there are some patches of dormant grass. None of the other chickens have poopy bottom, and they are all laying, too. I didn't see any worms.

4. zoelovesmom

Jul 22, 2011
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    I should add that they have a 16' sand-filled run that is covered in plastic. So they are not in a tiny coop all the time. They also have the attached run.

5. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Well some of my hens aren't laying right now, so don't feel like your the only one, yours is bound to lay soon. It depends where you live also, and if their coop is well shaded.

During spring and summer when the days are longer, they'll lay more. But since winter days are short, and if its darker around their coop, some probably won't lay. It's best just to wait for her. She's probably stocking up on protein for the eggs also, that's why when they start laying there's usually goofy looking eggs, double yolkers, ect.

Hoped this helped, [​IMG]

6. zoelovesmom

Jul 22, 2011
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    She was egg bound. I had to put her down. :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by