Marans X Wellsummer = ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by elite8, Jun 4, 2010.

1. elite8

elite8 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    Any ideas as to what this crossbreed would result with?

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    What kind of variety of Marans? Who's the roo and who's the hen?

I hatched out a bunch of chicks from a BCM roo and some DARK egged Wellies. They were all black at hatch, and then have gotten varying degrees of brown on them as they age. I don't have any more as the one I kept was a roo. They almost all had feathered legs. My gut feeling is they will feather out like a "mossy" BCM, but should lay a nice dark egg, provided both parents were from dark egg lines.

I've always thought it would be fun to use a Wellie roo over a Cuckoo Marans hen to make dark egged sex links!

3. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    [​IMG]

The one in the middle with the biggest comb was the BCM x Wellie at around 9 weeks. Slightly older BCM behind him for comparison.

4. elite8

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    Dark eggs is the question. This is my first flock and they are only 14 weeks old so i don't know how dark the eggs will be. A couple more months and I will know what kind of eggs the hens will lay. Wellsummer pullets and cuckoo marans cockerel. Most likely these came from a hatchery so I will have to wait and see. In the future i hope to find a breeder in the area with a good line. Not really sure what breed yet...I'm still experimenting with that to find the one i like the most. Thanks for the response

5. elite8

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    That would be a cool sex link. Unfortunately daddy is the barred one this time.

6. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I hear occasional reports from hatchery Wellies with decent eggs, but not so for the Marans. Even good cuckoos don't lay a super dark egg.

There seem to be plenty of good Welsummers and Marans out there. It seems lots of people have both. Whitmore farm sells both, and I know they select for dark egg color.

7. elite8

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    Thanks for letting me know about the Whitmore Farm. As a beginner this is just what I need to know to get started in the right direction with good genes. They also have Ameraucanas which I am interested in. Right now I have a couple but most likely they are EE's. I'll post some pics later if you're curious about what they look like. Thanks again for helping me find good lines!

8. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I accidentally hatched out two Welmarans (what I call the cross). The male was a Marans rooster. I believe he was Black x Birchin or full Birchin. The hens were the Welsummers. The first cross hatched out two pullets with a Birchin Coloration. They were gorgeous and layed a very dark egg. I crossed those two girls back to a Welsummer rooster and again got all pullets. These were colored like a Black Copper bird. These girls also layed a very dark egg.

I would certainly try duplicating the cross again if I could.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by