Marans

Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Central Florida
Thinking of getting into Marans. (trying not to be in competition with neighbor/friend)

Besides BCMs, are the other types of Marans good layers, friendly, and semi profitable?

Any imput is appreciated.

Looking for birds that will be pets, good layers, and make me a little extra money.

Anyone have any input on cornish hens?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather than trying to find a breed that won't fade out of the spotlight before you have eggs to sell, go with what appeals to you and that you like. Unless you're selling show qualiy birds you are going to be lucky to cover your feed bill. I've had my cuckoo Marans for a long time and like them....my wheaten Marans have been good layers for me. A couple of my favorite breeds are not really in demand, but that's ok.....I like them and have them because I enjoy them.

I love my Blue Copper Marans and my all time favorite is the Golden Cuckoo Marans. But the Black Coppers were so hot last winter and now it seems everyone has them so the market has been saturated and soon they will not be so expensive to buy.

I'm with Katy....get what YOU like and enjoy it. Nothing in chickens is going to make you any money. You will be lucky to cover your feed and supply bills.

I get the most fun out of new egg customers opening a carton and ooohhhing and aaahhhing over the variety of colors. And I really enjoy seeing my beautiful birds and petting them.

i'm thinking the marans because they seem to be the least destructive and friendliest (at least from what i've read). and the bcm's are beautiful. i love the splash's too, but have had such a hard time finding them. (except on ebay.)

I agree with all of this. I cringe when I see posts that say "what is the most popular chicken, what breed has the most expensive eggs?" Those are not people getting into chickens for an enjoyable hobby, its people trying to make a fast buck.

Learn about the breeds, see what you like and would enjoy to have. If you have a real passion for what you really like, whether it be some rare breed, or the common white Leghorn, you'll enjoy your chickens and will probably make a little money, be it selling eggs for eating, or for hatching.

hmmm, not trying to make a fast buck.. I know they take work, but am trying to find something that makes a little steady income since I can't work.

I suggest marans 1) because my friend doesn't raise them...2) because they seem more docile.... and 3) because they have awesome colored eggs...besides the ee's anyway... I also want silkies because i think they're pretty.

Don't count on any chicken making you much of an income.

If you want to sell pretty eating eggs, go with something like a Welsummer. They have nice dark brown eggs, they're attractive, and they have nice personalities.

Generally, birds that lay darker eggs lay at lower rates. The theory is that it takes awhile to get all that pigment on the eggs, so the laying speed goes down. So don't expect Marans with really dark eggs to be laying all that frequently!

If you're determined to get Marans, personally I like wheatens a lot. Very handsome roosters, good looking hens, and they still have good dark eggs. But go with whatever appeals to you!

2) because they seem more docile....

I've had/have a lot of Marans & have not, yet, had an aggressive male but I don't think the word docile to be very descriptive of Marans.
Active, vigorous seem more appropriate to me.

Generally, birds that lay darker eggs lay at lower rates. The theory is that it takes awhile to get all that pigment on the eggs, so the laying speed goes down.

While it is true that the darkest eggs tend not to come from birds which are most prolific layers, it is not the laying down of the pigment which slows rate of lay rather the other way round. The slower laying enables more pigment to be laid down on the egg.​

if you live in a rual area with lots of farmers you can do a more dual purpose breed that is docile that is wat i do and i love my dual purpose breeds NHR and BR are the best i just love them you could also do EE's i have them as well because of the egg appeal they shouldnt fade away but i think marans are just a fade why dont you get a few breeds and then see what you like and sell what you dont like that is how i found the breeds i have today just finding what i liked and selling what i didnt like but ive heard nothing but good things about marans

Back
Top Bottom