MARANS?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by questions543, Apr 6, 2012.

1. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    we are looking for backyard chickens... sadly were only allowed 5 where we live :( but I I am considering Marans because of most of there amazing reviews, the thing that concerns me is that lots of people say they don't lay well... Since I will only have 5 chickens I'm wondering if it's worth it. Any replies are welcomed :)

2. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Oregon
    I have two Marans and I average about 4 eggs per week from each. My two RIR average about 6 per week each. The Marans eggs are very pretty and unless you are strictly going for egg volume I would recommend one to add color to your egg basket.

3. Fluffballs

Fluffballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    When I looked at the Maran "article" in the breeds section, it said that their egg productivity is medium with their egg size being large. I hope that helped! [​IMG]

4. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012

Did you get them from a breeder or hatchery? I've also heard a marans eggs actually taste better,do you think this is true?

5. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Oregon
    Hi I got my Marans pullets from a local breeder; they are pretty good free-rangers and love their greens so their yolks are a nice dark color. I cant tell any difference in the taste though.

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    My blue coppers lay about 5 eggs per week. My black coppers lay 4-5. They both lay pretty large eggs once mature hens. Sometimes their egg production slows down in the extreme heat and humidity of the summers here. If you have cooler summers it might not affect you. If you have long dark winters, egg production may slow then..this is true for almost all the breeds though.
    I have a golden comet and a white leghorn that lay every single day rain or shine for the last year and a half. You might like the sex links they are very sweet and have a low feed to egg ratio. They are great foragers just like the leghorns. My leghorn is very sweet because she was held all the time when she was little and raised with other friendly breeds.
    My golden comet, Ducky, is always the first to come running when I am out digging or weeding in the garden. She sees the shovel or hoe and comes a running. She likes to help me dig -scratching around furiously for bugs lol. She seems to leave the plants alone though. Ducky lays a jumbo sized- fairly dark reddish brown egg. I always choose her eggs to eat with my breakfast...they just look so good :p

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  7. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    Marans usually lay well and produce very large eggs. If I could have only five hens, and I was interested in table eggs, marans would probably be my breed of choice.

[​IMG]

8. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Those eggs are gorgeous. I hope my babies will grow up to give me eggs like that!

9. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Marans are fairly slow to mature and tend to take 20+ weeks to start to lay.

10. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe you could possibly tell me how long before I can tell the boys from the girls?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by