Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FarmalI, Jan 24, 2014.

1. FarmalI

FarmalI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    how many different kinds of marans are there?

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Good question. The locus on which the color is based is in parentheses.
    Black-Tailed Buff (eWh),
    Black Copper (ER),
    Blue Black Copper (ER),
    Crele ( Barred Golden Salmon (e+) ,
    Cuckoo (either or both ER or EE?),
    Golden Cuckoo (eWh),
    Wheaten (eWh),
    Golden Salmon (e+),
    Silver Salmon (e+),
    Columbian (eWh),
    Silver Black ( Birchen on ER or maybe EE),
    Blue Wheaten (eWh)
    Blue Birchen (ER or maybe EE),
    Blue Golden Salmon (e+)
    Black (EE) ,
    Splash ( usually ER),
    White ( Dominate or recessive white, not sure, but not Silver),
    Blue Crele ( Blue Barred Golden Salmon , (e+),
    . I think someone is working on a Lavender (eWh?).
    The only locus which isn't in the Marans breed is eb ( Brown) ( some folk say recessive Wheaten [ey] is in Wheaten based varieties but the jury is still out on whether or not this locus even exists) . Some folk are working on a Partridge Marans based on eb locus. In one instance developed from an impure Black Copper strain. In my opinion a poor choice since the Club of origin in France is adamant eb is not in the breed. It will also play havoc with Wheaten and Salmon based varieties as the carriers are very difficult to separate in chick down by novice breeders. eb Brown is creating a lot of problems for folk wishing to breed Salmon (e+) and Wheaten (eWh) based varieties. To have eb added to the breed at this time will harm their efforts as eb birds are crossed ( either ignorantly or intentionally) with e+ and eWh varieties.
    Currently only Black Copper and Wheaten varieties are accepted into the APA Standard of Perfection. Efforts are ongoing to have White and Cuckoo accepted shortly. Note the colors in this paragraph are the actual named varieties , not varieties simply based on that named locus.
    Best,
    Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  3. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Here is another very rare color , the Yellow Marans.
    So named in Europe. It is based on eWh.
    http://demijohn.tripod.com/id9.html
    Hornbeam eventually sold this flock to Mr. Karl Rau.
    He subsequently sold them to his son, the younger Mr. Rau. The son worked with them for a while
    but when bred, they threw too many Wheaten colored Marans so he discontinued them.
    Current whereabout of any of the birds are unknown to me.
    Karl F. Rau email: [email protected]

There is another rare variety called (in the US) the Platinum Marans . Basically it is a color selected from a silver cuckoo but with a double recessive gene. A stunning bird. One flock I knew of here in America. Forget owners name, ask around. Here is the website of a English breeder who calls them Silver Marans , Take your pick of names: http://www.artandverse.com/marans.html

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  4. cowman1970

cowman1970 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Williamsburg, Pennsylvania
    I have a Silver. She was one of the recessives I had come thru.

5. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    I have seen people talk about splash Marans and splash Birchen Marans. Genetically I would assume what is typically referred to as splash is a cross between two blue copper Marans and a splash Birchen marans is from the breeding of two blue Birchen Marans. Is there a difference in appearance, and if so, does anyone know what that difference is?

6. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Honestly, I am no help whatever when it comes to Birchen in any color. I just wasn't interested and never studied it.
    Best,
    Karen

7. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Just stunning birds. If you can find a light cuckoo and breed to that,
    then take the chicks back to the silver, maybe you can get more. Just a lovely color.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  8. cowman1970

Jul 18, 2011
    To put it simply the Birchen is the same as the Black Copper with a Silver or Blue Color instead of the Black Copper. I hope that helps.

9. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Thanks. I am trying to figure out this splash copper vs splash birchen because I have 5 splash birds out of a blue birchen rooster and a blue hen, and I just want to be certain she is birchen as well, because I didn't really get a good look at her. The lady who owns the parents of my birds doesn't really know what she has I don't think. She had eggs gifted to her.

10. cowman1970

Jul 18, 2011
    If possible post photos of what you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by