March hatchalong (anyone want to join)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chookcrazy, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Chookcrazy

Chookcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    I'm putting eggs in the incubator tomorrow. Ready to hatch March the 20th (hopefully). 4 wyandottes, 2 barevelders, 5 silkies, 2 anconas and 4 blue orpingtons.
    Anyone want to join my hatchalong.

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 25 eggs that I'm going to set today, 2/29, for a March 21 hatch. Most are Mom's barnyard mixes; she started with Columbian Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, Black Sex Links, Red Sex Links, and Buff Orpingtons, then I gave her the culls from my blue-egg-laying Silkie-X project. I'm really interested in seeing how her chicks are going to look! Oh, forgot that my brother's BBRed OEGB rooster has been boarding with them, too. Mom isn't as interested in APA standards as she is in getting loads of lovely eggs. She and my sister love giving away cartons of rainbow eggs. (Now to get some Marans for them...) It's the fun of having chickens!

[​IMG]

Wups! forgot about that little Black Rosecomb egg sitting on top, till I looked at the picture and counted eggs. It's going into the incubator as well.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  3. mayberrygirl

mayberrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    I am setting on Monday the 5th. Today will be my last day collecting for the incubator cause we need some eat'n eggs too, LOL. So far we have:
    10 Easter Egger
    11 Naked Neck
    6 white eggs that I am not sure which is Ancona and witch is Minorca
    My roo is an Easter Egger, so it will be fun to see. This is the first hatching from these chickens and a homeschool science project.

I know I will get a beat down, but one of the naked neck eggs is a double yolker. If this was not a science project I am not sure I would put it in, but well it would just be eaten anyway. I figure I would not remove it out from under a broody, so I am going for it. I am not going to get into an argument or war of words with anyone over it either, as I do not feel the need to defend my choice.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

4. Chookcrazy

Chookcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Good luck to both of you. I have just put mine in and the temperature and humidity are perfect. We've been running low on big egg layers so hopefully this hatch goes great. The other day one of my silkies hatched four chicks. They're so cute.

5. 1sttimechick

1sttimechick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Hello Everyone! I am brand spankin new to all of this! Well i had the idea to just get a few chicks from Tractor supply, and found out that my state requires a minimum purchase of 6 and they weren't coming in til friday 03/02 so we went home and did some research online to purchase chicks and have them shipped, but the shipping was more than double the cost of the chicks. After speaking to a friend that has done this before he offered the use of his incubator, which holds 40 eggs. This is where it becomes interesting! I wanted chickens for eggs, My boyfriend wanted cute/rare ones! So we sat down and talked about a max amount that we would consider. That number was 10. While on ebay looking for eggs, realizing that 1. All eggs wont hatch 2. Some may break during shipment and 3. We will get males, which i have no use for because i have no intentions on breeding, selling fertile eggs. So after all of those factors we ordered 34 eggs, 4 blue polish 6 silkies, 12 frizzle cochin bantams and 12 easter eggers. of course all of them sent me 1 extra of each, i am just waiting to get my easter eggers which should be here tomorrow. So i am hoping to place all of them in the incubator on friday and start the waiting game! Any advice is welcome!

My chicks should hatch around the 23rd

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  6. mayberrygirl

mayberrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    1sttimechick - quick word of warning... Hatching is addictive, LOL. That is why when I ordered my chicks I got 2 Roos (1 to keep and 1 as a back up :p ). My hubby keeps asking me " now you are just hatching this time, right?" - silly hubby, he knows better, LOL.

7. 1sttimechick

Feb 29, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Thanks For the Words of wisdom! I am already addicted to watching videos on you tube so i can only imagine what it feels like in real life!

8. 1sttimechick

Feb 29, 2012
    Massachusetts
    So my last set of eggs did NOT arrive as expected today. I have some that are dated 02/22 which would make tomorrow the 10th day. Any advice on waiting one more day to see if the rest of my eggs arrive tomorrow?

9. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    egg viability should not go down til after the 14th day or so, i would wait it out [​IMG]

10. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I set four French Maran eggs, they could be black or blue, the hens are in the same pen. I set 12 mixed eggs, could be any of the following mixes.... Easter Egger, Barred Rock, Wheaten Maran, Cuckoo Maran.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by