Marching Rooster sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bedste, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Bantam Rooster 3 years old..... eating .....
    noticed him marching like a soldier..... not walking normally....
    drinking water.... eating food.....

poop looks normal..... is there a sickness that causes chickens to look like they are marching?

he also sounds congested

2. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    He survived the night...... and now he is eating and flying around the bathroom..... my heart is hopeful. He wants to go back outside, but I think he secretly is glad to be out of the mud. (The entire coop yard is covered with mud and muck... we need a load of gravel. ) As soon as it is daylight..I will go outside and find the old dog kennel and see if I can make him a set up.... I am so glad that he is feeling well enough to eat some of his flock raiser. Thank You God for caring about the things we care about.

His comb is also discolored ..... no pox or white dots, but it looks a little grey. Does this happen whenever they do not feel good or is this a symptom of somthing else? He does still sound a little congested too, but not as bad as last night.

some photos of him are on the website under my name..... The bottom pic shows his orange/grey comb on his sweet little face.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Have you had any really cold weather? It almost looks like frost bite. I have some Japanese banties who's combs get a little bluish at the back when they get stressed, but James' appears to be on the tips. When did he get his bath? Did he get good and dry before he went outside? He is really special to take care of those chicks. I would keep him warm with plenty of fresh water and food, maybe some vitamins. The use of antibiotics is very controversial when you don't know what is wrong. I hope he gets well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by