Marek’s

byezic

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Michigan
Hi everyone. Last week I had a sick hen and ended up having to euthanize her and took her to the state university for a necropsy. I got a call today that she had marek’s disease. She was about 1 1/2 years old. I am really worried for my other girls and roosters. We did a full coop clean out on Sunday. Can the others get mareks? She had been isolated for over a week before she died. How do I know if they have it? What do I do? Any info/help would be so appreciated. I cannot bear to go through this again.

I agree with the post above, most likely they will all have been exposed to it, so yes the others way well have it, but may just be carriers and not show symptoms.
Were they vaccinated?

I do not know. We got them from TSC in may of 2021. We have never vaccinated them
I agree with the post above, most likely they will all have been exposed to it, so yes the others way well have it, but may just be carriers and not show symptoms.
Were they vaccinated?

I do not know. We got them from TSC in may of 2021. We have never vaccinated them
I don't personally know if chicks bought from TSC are vaccinated, but going by other people's posts they usually are. Chickens can only be vaccinated as day olds.
If they are, then hopefully the rest may never actually become ill from it. As far as I know, unfortunately there isn't very much that can be done about

Be mindful now you’re aware that you’re a walking biohazard to other chickens. If you frequent other places leave your shoes and clothes behind (don’t go nekkid….. just have dedicated chicken chores clothing)

If there are others close where territories might possibly overlap, penning them might be best choice. Having a mareks carrying flock is possible but easily passed if you aren’t bio secure.

I have no mareks and visitors aren’t allowed around the stock.

Back
Top Bottom