Marek's + Adult Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Heartlandrabbitry, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    This year I was planning on taking my chickens to the fair, but I have heard there has been a Marek's scare around my area. I know when taking your animals to fair you are taking your chances when it comes to getting diseases, but I wanted to know, can I vaccinate my adult birds against this disease just to be safe? Or does it not work with older chickens? None of our chickens have ever received the vaccination that we know of. We have purchased a few from feed stores and from private breeders but have never even thought about asking if they have vaccinated them.

2. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    Being from WA and living pretty dang close to the Fairgrounds I can tell you that yes, there has been quite an issue with Marek's going around as I have had to deal with it. I was told by WSU's avian vet that you can vaccinate an older bird against it but I'm not sure how it works in adults vs. chicks. You could always give them a call and see what they have to say? Definitely better to be safe than sorry!

3. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    Thank you. I may give them a call and see what they have to say!

4. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    You're welcome, it sure wouldn't hurt to call. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by