Marek's booster?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amymboxer, Jan 29, 2017.

1. amymboxer

amymboxer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    Ok so I have done a lot of rescue with dogs and after vaccinating adults with unknown history we vaccinate again at 2 to 3 weeks later just in case the vaccine was not viable. I have day old chicks and would it be wise to revaccinate again in a couple of weeks just in case my vaccine is a dud? I lost all but just a few pullets last fall from Marek's so I know I have it. My chicks are in my house to reduce risk of exposure to early.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What hatchery are the chicks from? If from a feed store, did you ask them if they order Marek's vaccinated chicks?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Repeating the Mareks vaccine at 7-12 days old is done by some in the US and more often in Europe according to the Textbook of Poultry. Did you give the first vaccination as day olds yourself, or was it given at the hatchery? The ones that the hatcheries use before hatch or one the first day after, is supposed to be better than the ones available online to purchase, as far as I have read. There are several BYC Mareks threads that are ongoing where people compare their experiences and information, if you do a search at the top of this page.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  4. amymboxer

Mar 19, 2016
    I will be vaccinating myself chicks I hatched. Waiting for everyone to hatch still. Have 8 currently and hopefully around 30 when completed.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What are your plans for these chicks? And you do realize that vaccinating against Marek's does not stop a bird from contracting the virus and becoming a carrier, right?

6. amymboxer

Mar 19, 2016
    Oh yes but I already have it on my property so unless I want some more horrible deaths I need to vaccinate. And I am sure my 3 remaining hens are carriers. Some will be split with my friend. We shared birds and she lost everything but a roo. I have a vaccinated silkie already and 2 surviving easter egger hens. These chicks are in the house to reduce risk of early exposure.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  7. Wfpendragon

Wfpendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I know how you feel, I am sorry about your losses. I too have Marek's in my flock, just lost another hen a few days ago. :( I am ordering vaccinated juveniles in april from McMurray, they will be between 4 an 9 weeks old, hopefully by then they will have built up a good immunity to the deadly effects of the disease and i won't deal with as much heartache as I have with my unvaxxed birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by