Mareks Disease and egg consumption

newfy

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
I have had an outbreak of Mareks disease in my flock and have lost one rooster and two hens. My question is, Is it safe to eat the eggs that are being laid. I know that when a hen contracts the disease that egg laying diminishes. It has been over a week since my last hen has died and all the others seem healthy with no symptoms. I know that it is spread to other chickens through their dander, but since it is a herpes virus I am a little worried about egg consumption. I have tried to find an answer to this question on different medical and veterinarian websites but with no avail.

Did you have Marek's positively confirmed? Why do you think that was what it was? Eggs are generally safe to eat regardless of the chicken's illness. If you're worried still, you might try to contact your state ag department; they can tell you for sure. I would be more worried about disinfection and protection of other birds in the flock.

I am most certain it is mareks, anemia, leg paralysis, lesions , etc... It is not a vertically transmitted disease so I am pretty sure that the eggs are safe to eat. As for prevention, the only prevention is vaccination at a day old or in the incubated eggs. Disinfection of the disease is pretty much impossible since some of my chickens could have contracted it and not shown any symptoms and will be carriers the rest of their life. It can also still remain in the coop for 6 months or longer even if disinfected (impossible to get all the little nooks and crannies).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom