Marek's disease - do I need to inoculate my freshly hatched chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by juleedis, Mar 13, 2012.

1. juleedis

juleedis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I've got eggs in my incubator, and an existing flock of hens.

Do I need to inoculate the chicks for Marek's once they're hatched?

Will the existing hens make the chicks sick or vice-versa if I don't inoculate them?

If I inoculate them, how/where do I get the serum?

This is my first time with eggs - I usually just buy hatchlings so this is new to me.

Thanks!

2. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Silver-Laced Sebrights are at high risk for Marek's. I didn't know this and didn't inoculate mine at hatch day, so when I found out it was too late to do so. But she is celebrating her 24 week old hatch date today. So far, so good. She's a feisty beauty and lays perfect eggs! Good luck.

3. TheChickMan

TheChickMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    I bought 8 from orschelns sunday. Do you think they were inoculated. if not is it too late to do so.

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I had assumed that the two Barred Rock chicks I was given from a friend, who bought them at a farm store, had been inoculated, but when I asked, they said they never inoculate their chicks. I can't remember whether they said they sell syringes and the serum there or not, so you can do it yourself? I don't know whether Orscheln's inoculates their chicks, but I would doubt it? I read that for the Marek's inoculation it has to be done on Day 1 of hatching, I believe?

5. Christyleigh

Christyleigh Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    I don't have my chickens yet (April!!) but I am a veterinary nurse and I see many young animals with vaccine preventable diseases and it is just so frustrating to know it can be prevented but hasn't been. I guess that is my answer to vaccinate or not.

1 person likes this.
  6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Most people who hatch for themselves do not vaccinate (it's not practical to do so), and most do not suffer any losses. Just because they aren't vaccinated doesn't mean they're doomed to die from Marek's. All the shot does is to jump start the immune system to get it to build up antibodies to the illness. It doesn't prevent it.

1 person likes this.
  7. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Vaccinating would have made me so nervous. I'm almost glad I didn't realize I should have done it. I was already a nervous wreck that day with my little rooster getting nearly pecked to death by his StepMama and brother. Having to vaccinate would have been an extra stressor and taken me away from my little guy I had to rescue.

8. juleedis

Feb 14, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  9. juleedis

Feb 14, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thank you. Your response is the helpful info I was hoping for. :) Good to know that my chicks will be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by