Marek's Disease or Spraddle Leg Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HighNDryFarm, May 10, 2011.

1. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    I have 11, 3 month old chicks I hatched myself. At about 2 days I notice one had spraddle leg. I researched it here and used the bandaid method to pull the legs together. Worked like a charm....until I took off the bandaid about a week later because she was doing so well. About 4 days later I notice that the legs is out a little bit so I put back on the bandaid. It works fine, change it as the chick was growing, but when I took it off it had a hard time moving around. By this time I see the hip is odd over the leg that has spraddled. Within another week I notice that the toes on the good foot are starting to curl under as if they're being pulled over by the spraddle leg so I take off the band that's pulling the legs together but the toes stay curled under. Now, she's still growing like the others and she gets around, just handicapped. I've been taping an opened paperclip to her toes to keep the toes from curling under and that helps her get around and was thinking of giving her some vitamins.

Sooooooo, I was talking to another chicken person and she says you know she has Marek's Disease????? Now, this chick I hatched myself, she had never been outside prior to her symptoms of spraddle leg and when I researched spraddle leg I didn't read anything on there that suggested Marek's Disease as the cause..... Due to the extensive rain we've had this year they didn't even go outside for play until they were almost 3 weeks old and it was just on my lawn.

So I'm now wondering if there's a chance that this chicken has Marek's Disease and what about the other 10 chicks in the flock, plus my two full grown hens and my full grown roo? I thought my chick just had a deformity but now if she's diseased I have to rethink this whole thing of letting her live with the deformity vrs culling her if she's diseased. I don't know where she would have gotten Marek's. We've owned this property for over 30 years and have never had an issue with ANY disease. All my chickens have been healthy and these chicks were from my own chickens........

Any input would be greatly appreciated. HELP! [​IMG]

2. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    I'm bumping this up hoping it'll get noticed to the evening visitors to BYC. I really need to know if my little girl is handicapped or sick..... [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Thank you Miss Lydia, I'll check out the link . Any help is appreciated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by