Marek's disease question

bsims125

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2016
Tx
I had a 3 month old chick develop what we think is Marek's disease. We have 22 more chicks that were potentially exposed. Is it possible for the chicks to be re-homed, having been exposed? If it's possible, what is the time period to wait? We hatched these chicks ourselves thinking maybe only half would hatch but we had a very successful hatch rate. We simply can't keep all of the chicks. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had a 3 month old chick develop what we think is Marek's disease. We have 22 more chicks that were potentially exposed. Is it possible for the chicks to be re-homed, having been exposed? If it's possible, what is the time period to wait? We hatched these chicks ourselves thinking maybe only half would hatch but we had a very successful hatch rate. We simply can't keep all of the chicks. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.
No, do not rehome a Bird with possible Mereks.......Deadly to all Birds, not just Chickens........

Why do you think Mereks?..........

Cheers!

If you think your flock has Marek's you should have one tested to see if they're carrying the virus.

It's without a doubt one of the most contagious and tenacious viruses afflicting poultry, and it cannot be cleansed out of your soil, run, coops, yards, etc. It remains viable for years and years. It's transported by air, wild birds, on foot wear, on clothing, as well as chicken to chicken. So do not give any of your chicks away to other people until you know for sure they are Marek's carriers or not.

I would suggest that you process the cockerels for meat. Even if they have Marek's there is no risk to human health from eating the meat. That should reduce the number of chicks by half and not cause disease transmission concerns.

Happy New Years everyone!........................
frow.gif

Cheers!

They have names so eating them is not an option. So basically there's nothing I can do but wait around and see if they get sick and die is what I'm hearing. No more chickens for me. Too heartbreaking.

You are better giving them a quick death and eating them or finding someone else who will than keeping them and watching them get ill and die. Those cockerels are going to become a total pain when they hit adolescence and will stress the pullets, which will put them at more risk of having a Marek's attack....I speak from experience here....too many cockerels with raging hormones is not pleasant and was the trigger for my first outbreak of Marek's.
I find it makes it emotionally easier to cull them once they start raping a pillaging the hens and pullets. If you are going to keep them all, then the cockerels will be best kept in separate quarters...ie a bachelor pad once adolescence hits.

Good luck with them all. I know it's not an easy situation.

Regards

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom